Monday, December 1, 2008

Induction, here we come!

Since we're nearly two weeks past the estimated due date, we've been monitored closely to make sure baby is doing well on the inside. This morning Cal and I took baby in for another ultrasound, and they discovered that our amniotic fluid levels are too low, and we are now looking at induction.

Since the start of my pregnancy I've been pretty vocal about my desire to give birth without "tinkering" so I have to admit this is quite a blow. However, I consulted my uber-hippy birthing books and they all agree that low amniotic fluid is an appropriate situation for medical induction. So, I'm working on putting aside my prior expectations and now just focusing on the joy that I'll finally get to meet baby in a day or two!

During the ultrasound Cal thought that baby's face looked a bit like my dad, so he has last minute bets on a boy. However, I look like my dad too, so we're still 50/50 on the whole gender issue. Adding to the confusion is baby's apparent insistence on keeping the left hand over the eyes, so really, we're speculating based on cute cheeks and a little nose. We can't wait to meet you baby!

For those of you into details... We're heading to the hospital at 8pm this evening where they will begin the induction using a foley catheter. This is a non-drug method of induction which has no guarantee to start contractions, but should make a ton of progress in dilation of my cervix. They will let me go for about twelve hours using the catheter. If I haven't started contractions on my own, then they will start me on pitocin in the morning. I'm really, really, really hoping to start contractions prior to the use of pitocin! I was walking with a friend recently who was induced using pitocin and she said "It's the devil." Fortunately, Cal is as prepped as he can be to support me throughout all of this - so I have good hopes for a positive labor and delivery experience on the whole.

We'll be posting updates to the blog as we're able, and as there is actual new news to post. Can you believe I'm having a December baby?!