Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Lay up for yourselves treasures in the freezer...


I have to say that I have the most amazing husband ever. He's been an active participant in the nesting - and I couldn't be more pleased.

When I first met Cal, he could not cook at all. I recall one day when we were dating when he stopped at a gas station and purchased Mt. Dew, a package of Flips (or flipz? those coated pretzel thingies), and a package of trail mix. He then informed me that it was the first thing he had eaten that day, and was all he intended to eat. Once in our first year of marriage, he begged me to make him some oatmeal. I said no, because the instructions are on the package. He was angry at me because I refused when I "already knew how to make it." He's come a long way.

A few years after the oatmeal incident, he had some time on his hands and decided to learn to cook. Not knowing anything about food at all, he selected the most challenging cook book in my collection. In those days he spent as much time with the dictionary as he did with the cookbook. It is a Mediterranean cookbook and they tend to use terms not as common in the US, such as aubergine instead of eggplant, etc. He made his way through and now is quite the accomplished cook.

Yesterday we spent an awesome day in the kitchen together, making freezer meals in prep for Phyllis' arrival. I shouldn't exactly say "we" as I made only one dish, and Cal made the rest. I made three pans of hopefully delicious turkey enchiladas, and then Cal told me I needed to take a nap because I was getting grouchy. He was right. I was grouchy. This baby making is exhausting.

While I lay in repose, he made beef stew, lasagna, and arroz catalan (think paella, but kind of soupy). On top of all this, the prior weekend he made pumpkin soup and lentil soup. Seriously, who gets as lucky as me to have this kind of incredible man?

We counted and we have about 15 meals ready in the freezer for Phyllis' rough days. Hopefully the days won't be too rough, but just in case, we're as prepped as we can be.

Thank you, Cal. You are my favorite.

3 comments:

CandiceM82 said...

So I TRIED to friend you on Myspace but maybe you forgot who I am!?! Well seeing as you tend to update this more often I thought I would have a better chance. I would love to chat with you! Miss you lots and sooooo happy for you guys
Candice

twentysixtimesalady said...

You two are just TOO awesome! I'm so excited for you guys, and you and the little one have crossed my mind several times while I've been out here in NC. Wish I was coming home to see all y'all sooner.

Until mid-December, my best wishes to you:

Quinn

CalandStacia said...

Candice! I checked and I don't have a message from you on myspace. How do I contact you? Use myspace to send me your email address. I'm much more reliable that way.