Tuesday, August 4, 2009

She Crawls! Eight months of sedentary play comes to a dramatic halt.


At eight months and one day, crawling has commenced. Unlike many moms I know who are excited about the physical advancements of their babes, I have not-so-secretly hoped that Cleo would take her time with the whole mobility thing. Of course I wouldn't want her to be delayed, just in no rush to be roaming around. My days of going to the bathroom with reasonable confidence that she will be in the same location when I return are over. But, my lamentations aside, this is an amazing way to start off Cleo's eighth month!

Beebs,

We've been busy this month! We've done a few road trips to visit family and friends. Also, we're packing up the house and preparing to move to a new home. This Friday we'll be moving into our new place, right next door to Jeremy, Margaret and Eli. We'll have a backyard for you and Dan to play in, and a few amenities to make life with you smoother. Namely, a washer and dryer! I'm sure it will be a long time before you appreciate household appliances, but let me assure you, this is an exciting improvement.

When you were born, I splurged and purchased a video monitor, so I could see you while sleeping. A few nights ago Daddy and I discovered that you are now capable of pulling yourself up on things to stand. We realized this the hard way when you tried it for the first time in your crib, and fell out. As a perfect example of irony, Daddy was telling me a story about how his coworker had advised him to lower the crib mattress before we thought we needed to. Seconds after he told me this, we looked up, and saw that you were missing from the monitor image. We rushed to your room to find you laying on the floor, crying. You were totally fine, but I wasn't for a while. Your crib mattress has now been lowered as far as it will go to let you sleep safely!


You've finally taken a real interest in food and you love it. You've enjoyed everything you've tried - even spinach. Today I gave you cubes of potatoes and you fed them to yourself like a champ. Dan loved it too, because you dropped quite a bit.

Lately you've spent tons of time with your Daddy. You are so gorgeous, he is constantly taking pictures of you. I've enjoyed watching you two play and interact. You have an incredible dad who loves you and loves being with you.


Swimming has been a popular pastime for you. The weather has been very hot, so we've spent a lot of time outside while you enjoy your pool. You love to splash and play with your toys. I hope you turn out to be a good swimmer, as it was my absolute favorite childhood activity.


Tonight, while I rocked you to sleep, I thought about how quickly this time has passed. As I rocked you, I noticed how perfectly your head rested in the crook of my arm and your legs fit snugly around my waist. You've been a perfect fit for cuddling all this time, but I was struck at how these days are surely numbered. There will be a day when you are too big for me to rock. Then a day when you will be too big to carry. Then a day when you are so big you may not want to snuggle with me at all. It just made me realize all the more how precious and fleeting these days are.

Today, you are still my precious baby. My presence can make you happy. A hug can avert tears. My smiles make you smile, and vice versa. Even in your most difficult moments, I cherish being with you. I'm so lucky to know you, and I know it!

You are amazing. I love sharing your life. I love you more than I can express in words. You are a blessing to me. I can't wait to see what our future holds, but I'm in no rush, as these moments are full of such exquisite joy.

Love,
-Mommy

1 comment:

Margaret Dybash said...

I'm going to go cry myself to sleep now (in a good way) with my own precious babe.